Re: [RC] [RC] [RC] energized horses/making them that way and then toning it down! - Dawn Carrie

Looking back, I wish I had changed bits in the beginning with Bear.  We've gotten pretty close to where I want to be, but I think we could have gotten here a lot quicker, and with less "fighting" over it, if I had changed bits in the beginning until he learned that race brain wasn't going to get him anywhere.

With my 7 yr old gelding that I'm working on now, I just ordered a myler bit for him.  He is extremely strong, even on conditioning rides...likes to go FAST, and likes to be in front.  Not too easy to rate...gets very pissed if I ask for a slower trot...he prefers to cruise along at a 12mph trot, and I want him to be more rateable.  Using a snaffle, I have to pull on him all the time...so we're going to a myler that has more control, so that we can hopefully come to an understanding.  If this guy develops race brain, it's going to be ugly, at least in a snaffle.

Dawn Carrie, Texas
and Sundance...I wanna GO!

On 10/13/07, Kathy Klenk <kramspott@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Dawn Carrie wrote:
> It would really piss my horse Bear off when I would pull him up and
> circle him while letting the other horses go on ahead at rides, so
> that we could have a sane ride.

My goal is to ride both my geldings in either snaffle or side pull.   So
far Ramsy is fine with either and I can use my tone of voice to get him
to stop dead in his tracks.  I think he has the potential for race brain
though.  The other gelding I just started riding again after a layoff
and have a snaffle on him.  He is not so easy or sensitive.  What is
better, keeping a snaffle but risking putting him in circles even during
conditioning rides or to change bits?