[RC] CTRs: A Horse Show in the Woods? - Linda Marins

Comments:

- ECTRA judges only the horse's condition, and on the whole
   is less "persnickety" than NATRC's structure.

- Though founded at different times (NATRC: 1961; ECTRA: 1970),
   there is very little geographical overlap between the two organizations.
   ECTRA is overwhelmingly northeastern US, with NATRC being
   everywhere else.  The only overlap occurs in the mid-Atlantic
   states (Pennsylvania and Virginia).

   Links:  www.natrc.org   and  www.ectra.org

- The Old Dominion 50 & 100 are simultaneously both AERC
   and ECTRA sanctioned events, rather like "co-hosted" AERC and
   FEI rides.

- If you don't like the persnickety aspects of NATRC, you can elect
  to ride  "hors de concours."  You'll be judged, but you officially
  don't care.  Moreover, you'll have a little vet oversight to help you
  and your horse, leg protection is allowed, and your mileage will
  count.

- At its best, I like to think of NATRC as being like its distant
   cavalry horse trial origins.  The horse is being judged for its suitability
   as a cavalry horse traversing the countryside during war.  Nobody
   wants a cavalry horse that can only make it to the battle if he hasn't
   lost his bellboots.  The rider is being judged like a cavalry trooper
   getting his fitness report.  Does the trooper ride and take proper care
   of his mount and tack--by the book that experience has writ--to
   ensure its continued health, safety, and *serviceability* for war?

-  It is only when a ride manager offers a dumbed-down course, or a
   rider refuses to move up to the faster, more demanding Open
   judging tier (preferring easy blues) that the event degenerates
   and you get the kinds of silly things Angie saw:  lounging around
   outside checkpoints to defeat the purpose of the P&R and time
   constraints.  The latter is, alas, pretty common in both NATRC and
   ECTRA and accounts for the unfortunate reputation of CTR's as a
   "Horse show in the woods."  It is only so if the rider makes it so.

Personally, I think anything that gets people out on trails with their
horses and involves some kind of goal, discipline, and training
is a Very Good Thing.

Linda Marins
(For a pic of me and my Morgan mare UC Esther riding the
parallel, unjudged (shorter, too!) pleasure ride at the 2001
Green Mountain Horseman's Association 100-mile 3-day
ECTRA event--the 80+ year-old granddaddy of CTR events--