From: kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:kathy.mayeda@xxxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wed 10/10/2007 12:34 AM
To: LIESENS Leonard (COMM); liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx; PFmorabs@xxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC]   French system

I think that the "vital energy" that you are referring to is key to a good endurance horse.  I think that it's a horse that has the whole mental, emotional and physical makeup and focus that makes a superior equine athlete.

There is an article in this month's Endurance News that's an interview with Nancy Elliot, DVM.  (She has worked on my horses as a chiropractor, too.)   She states that you have to train in same conditions as the competition.  She made specific reference to deep sand.  A horse that hasn't trained in these conditions will not have the muscle and ligament strength to withstand the extra exertion required to go through sand.

Also think that flat land training is not conducive for a horse to be a good hill horse.