[RC] appaloosa endurance horses-CK - rides2far

Musing on breeding endurance horses, assuming that all> data up to the
present points to the Arabian as the superior> speed enduring breed at
the distance of 100 miles, what is> it that one would like to breed *out*
of Arabians?

Most of the people I know looking for an Arab cross are tall people who
need more height, thus TB or Saddlebred is added. Then there's those
heavyweights who just want more strength...cross with QH, Ap or
Andalusian, etc. I think some would be happy with a TB they could breed
some Arab feet onto. Then there's those who think Arabs feel like a jeep
and want to cross with a TWH.

As a person who started on Appaloosas I used to be very frustrated in the
70's that the horse that was on their logo could probably have done well
in endurance but would have gotten the gate in a show. The little rat
tailed Indian pony that they sent out a painting of when you registered
your horse was just what I wanted. They finally admitted their priorities
by getting Oren Mixxer (wasn't that the artist's name?) who had done the
painting of the "Ideal QH" to paint basically the same horse and put
spots on it as their new "poster horse". The only place you could find
light bodies under spots after that was the AraAppaloosa registry
somebody had going for a while. I couldn't afford one of those and ended
up getting a purebred Arab and found out they suit me well so I'm still
with them.

I did find myself a duplicate of that first "ideal Appaloosa drawing"
once. He'd been bought off the killer truck, was rat tailed, bay with a
blanket, big feet, light body, and had a great mind. I thought he was
going to be my endurance horse because he was so nicely lightly muscled.
Then I brought him home and fed him better than he'd been fed in the past
and he went foundation AQHA looking on me. He was still a wonderful horse
and Bill rode him for years.

Angie