[RC] cold shoulder, different ride times? - Tx Trigger

When one decides to have a horse, they choose the right horse for them, and
their needs and goals. Most consider conformation, size, personality and way
of going and training. They also then consider what they want to do WITH
that horse, and if it is suited for the sport or activity they have chosen.
If one wanted to participate in team roping, they would look for a horse
with  that power to do fast short bursts of speed, and then the ability to
stop quickly, and stop that steer.  A stout, strong horse, usually with a
powerful hind end is a preference. This does not mean that someone could not
participate in roping with a 14 hand 800 pound Arabian, but if one wanted to
be competitive, and really do well, it may not be the best choice. If one
wants to participate in endurance, that heavy built roping horse may be able
to be brought into condition to ride 50 miles, but the smaller built,
lighter muscled Arabian that is not as well suited for roping, would
probably be better suited for endurance.

You don't see weight lifters running marathons usually, just as you don't
normally see lean marathon runners lifting 200+ pound weights.  But both
could maybe participate in the other sport, but just not be as competitive.

I have posted the following in the past, as to why so many ride Arabians,
and why they are known to be usually more competitive in distance riding
sports:

The lighter muscling of an Arabian horse dissipates heat and
lactic acid more readily than other breeds. The larger flaring
nostrils provide the Arabian with maximum oxygen intake, and its
large trachea allows for larger lung capacity. Also, that pretty
arched neck has a function besides looks, in which it carries plenty
of air to the lungs and helps keep the windpipe clear. They have
bigger, stronger hearts for their size, which pumps a higher volume
of blood. That blood runs through the blood vessels which are very
close to the surface than other breeds, covered by thinner skin,
which also aids in cooling the animal when it works. Last, the bone
density is known to be greater in Arabians than other breeds, with
tougher tendons and ligaments. All of these traits were bred for
thousands of years, when the horses were used in their country of
origin, to travel great distances in the harsh conditions. Those that
did not hold up, did not survive.

So, if I decided that I wanted to ride something other than an Arabian, I
would look for an individual of that breed, that met as many of those traits
as possible. There have been some very competitive horses in endurance that
are NOT Arabians. This year a registered Paint horse finished 6th at Tevis.
Don't think you HAVE to have an Arabian to ride 100 miles, and even be
competitive, but you look for an individual that is well suited.

I have met riders of non Arabians who kind of have a chip on their shoulder,
and feel they HAVE to prove that they can be competitive against Arabians in
endurance to "show those Arabian people". As an Arabian owner and rider for
over 20 years, I love to see other breeds out there on the trail. And if a
non Arabian does well, I am excited for them, not upset that their non
Arabian beat my Arabian.

Jonni in TX