Re: [RC] [RC] cold shoulder, different ride times? - Dawn Carrie

On 10/5/07, Laney Humphrey <laneyhh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
       What doesn't get talked about too much here (or anywhere else), is how
to bring a non-arab to ride (note I did not say "race") readiness.

One brings a non-Arab to ride readiness the same way one brings an Arab to ride-readiness.  Plenty of long slow distance, upping the speed and distance (not at the same time) as the horse increases its level of fitness.  I don't see what could be different between the two (Arab vs non-Arab) in terms of how to do it?  It might take a little *longer* to condition, say, a heavily muscled QH than an Arab in terms of cardiovascular and recovery.  But that's the first thing that gets "in shape" anyhow, and by the time one gets the tendons, ligaments, and bones in the shape they need to be, the cardio will be long ready for either horse.

Works for my husband...he and I condition together (I ride an Arab, he rides a Paso Fino).  His horse does 50s just as easily as mine does.  Takes his horse a bit longer to pulse down than my main horse (who has amazing recoveries), but his horse has out-pulsed a lot of Arabs, too.

Dawn Carrie, Texas