[RC] cold shoulder, different ride times? - Donna Deyoung

<<<, I've had people tell me if I wanted to be serious in this sport I needed to get an Arabian and I just smile and keep on riding my own breed>>>

Brings up a question I had... I'm not an Arabian owner. I wonder if the AERC time limits are set so as to favor Arabians? It seems that the only option a rider on a slower horse has is to finish the ride as over time and not get a completion - or choose a different sport. Why can't there be a different level of timing so slower horses can still "finish" and do a long distance ride under AERC? NATRC is not really the answer - they have slower times but its a judged ride on horsemanship.

I'm reminded of a good example -  barrel racing - where no matter how slow or how fast your horse is, everyone competes together. The results are then split into 3 time groups. The rider in the slowest group "wins" that division. Everyone is given fair chance at winning something. Even riders in the slow group.

I realize you can't wait all day and the next for someone to finish a ride... but if the rides were slowed down even by a half hour or an hour that could make a big difference in other breeds being "successful" and it might draw more people to the sport. Wouldn't it also be kinder to the horses?

Where is the "distance riding" event (as opposed to a race) supposed to happen? if not within AERC. Then we need another sport.  Where are the fun distance rides that you can finish without having to rush? And how do you define serious?  A serious rider cares about themselves and their horse. Not everyone is suited to be on an Arabian or wants to be.

Donna
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= Ridecamp is a service of Endurance Net, http://www.endurance.net. Information, Policy, Disclaimer: http://www.endurance.net/Ridecamp Subscribe/Unsubscribe http://www.endurance.net/ridecamp/logon.asp Ride Long and Ride Safe!! =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=