[RC] GSFTR, Spin, & Human Nature - FXLivestock

I have participated in other sports and activities all of which have cliques and all of which have "know it alls" that have wanted to tell me the best way to run a trail race or  a better way to run my dog on an agility course five minutes after they have met me.  There will always be people who will say to you "you don't have the the right breed of dog for dog obedience", "you are not using the right brand of shoes to run in", or "you don't have the right breed of horse for endurance".  Human nature is human nature.  I don't think that endurance riders as a whole are any worse then any other "group" when it comes to this kind of stuff.  But, I do know that when it happens to you it is hard not realize that it is a small minority in the group that feels this way.  Usually, you find out later that those giving unasked for advice, criticism,  or comments are "bench racers" anyway.  They talk more than they do!

What I do find interesting is the spin the author or the rider himself chose to use in this article.  From reports I heard from those at the ride,  there were many non Arabs participating and many non Arabs that were completing day after day.  I am not sure why, of all the different aspects to highlight in an article you would choose to focus on "proving them wrong" when there were so many other non Arabs being successful at the same event.  It sounded like there were a lot of riders that were not dressed like "cyclists" at this particular ride so I don't know why this was the focus.  To me, it really sounds like a guy that wants to call attention to himself and his accomplishments and really wanted to emphasize his "non conformity" to what is perceived as "normal" (oxymoron in endurance) in the endurance culture.  I just don't think the story would have the same flavor if he talked about all the endurance riders that accepted him with no question.  It wouldn't fit with the "non conformist" image :)   I  mean I have been riding in endurance since 1986 and I really don't recall anyone standing on top of their saddle.....I've seen a lot of other weird stuff but it is obvious that this guy wanted to stand out in the crowd :)

Kim Fuess
AERC #6648