Re: [RC] GSFTR - rides2far

You are right about the training.  > Truman let me
know that I and the horse were ready. Race day had 500 miles on the
horse at the end of hte ride in the January to May period of time of
that year. Long> slow distance was most of it, but also speed work,
tempo work and
hill > work for strength.

Keith,
Check out my record under Angela McGhee. See a horse named Merlyn?  I
came in 3rd with him in our first race (raced the 1st & 2nd place horses
in),. 2nd in our 2nd race (out recovered 2 ROC winners there) and 1st &
BC in the third.  I had him *really* in shape...or as in shape as you can
get a horse in 5 months or so. He didn't vet in in his 4th race. I'd done
a great job on his muscles & aerobic systems, but 5 months doesn't train
bone & tendon.  When I started to tell you about this I thought, "I wish
someone had been rude enough to warn me I shouldn't do that"...then I
remembered at the finish line of that first race, Wesley Crowe said,
"Good job, you shouldn't have done it, but good job". That was the nicest
warning I guess any really nice people dared give.

Of course  I'd read it takes 2 years to get all a horse's systems ready
to race, but nobody *really* does that do they??   There were years when
I "beat" Steve Rojek while he trotted slowly down the trail on a horse
named "Finally". I thought I finally had a horse faster than
Steve's...until he put that 2 year base on that horse then off he
went...and he lasted a long long time.  It takes very brave people who
really want to save you from yourself to warn you to slow down. I"m not
that brave so I just watch people mess up and cause themselves a great
deal of grief and feel bad about it.  You may be one of the lucky ones
that got by with it but that does not make it any less noble to me that
someone tried to keep someone else from messing up their good horse.

I  told this story on here once before and the recipient  resented the
comparison  ignored the warning and their horse broke down not much
later. My conscience was clear but it kinda made me think it's a waste of
time to warn anyone. We may all have to mess up one good horse before we
think the rules of nature apply to us too.

Angie