Re: [RC] GSFTR - Susan

I started this sport with a 13.3 hh Quarter Horse.  I'm 5'10".  The gelding had very shallow feet so got stone bruised a lot.  Not once did anyone try to tell me to go away.  I heard a lot of suggestions and advice but nothing nasty.  That's not to say it doesn't happen...but it doesn't happen all the time.

I've heard a well-known vet tell riders their gaited horses will never be endurance horses.  Well, he's not God and his comments were rather "high and mighty".  Another person may say to these same people, "If you want to run up front consistently in all types of terrain and in all kinds of weather, you may want to consider a horse with less up and down action and less muscle mass."  That doesn't mean the horse can't run up front and only time will tell how long the horse will go.  That can be said of ANY horse!

I'm sure folks may have made some comments about the horses that were at this ride.  I have a hard time believing seasoned endurance riders made any of those comments, however.

The more I read, the more grateful I am to have "grown up" in a region where people and horses are accepted and given a chance.  The very person I heard saying gaited horses don't make endurance horses is one of the people who encouraged me some 20 years earlier.  This person hasn't done much riding and I've not heard such ludicrous comments by riders.  By and large, I think endurance riders are accepting folks.

Keith Kibler <kwkibler@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Becky, I have no idea about what happened to him at that ride except
what I learned here and from a friend that was the
manager of the MIghty Oaks team. However, I have been on the receiving
end of worse than a cold shoulder.

Semper Obliquo (Always aside),
Susan Young, The Princess of Pink
Your Independent Mary Kay Beauty Consultant
Glenndale Grace Farm, Ft Gibson, Oklahoma U.S.A.
"Ride on! Rough-shod if need be, smooth-shod if that will do, but ride on! Ride on over all obstacles, and win the race!" - Charles Dickens (1812-1870)