Re: [RC] GSFTR - Keith Kibler

Becky, I have no idea about what happened to him at that ride except what I learned here and from a friend that was the
manager of the MIghty Oaks team. However, I have been on the receiving end of worse than
a cold shoulder. It happened at my first event and was obvious and blunt. You see, I was
not on an arabian and was told to my face I didn't belong. It was so blunt and obvious that
two women from Indianna told me they were furious about the way some (only some mind you)
of the other competitors acted towards me. They offered to crew for me and help me.
After we finished as the only gaited horse that day in the 50 and were 3rd and first
in our weight division, the race director told me that we had earned major respect and
that their had been a meeting before the race (that of course I was no invited to) at which
time they had discussed how to discourage me. It didnt work
I was prayed up and nice anyway. Went back the next year, was top ten again in the 50
and my wife and I both did likewise in the 30 . We took a bunch of gaited riders with us. One
did the 30 successfully in his first event and the rest crewed for us. Most of them have agreed
to train this winter to give it a go for next year. I had absolutely no negative responce at the same
event this year.
Cold sholdering does happen in all groups, shoot even churchs. The test is how you respond
to it and it sounds like the cowboy did perfect in trying to help others. That is the way to
go imho, oh, and also to do your best to perform way over expectations of others.
My favorite comment at that first event was "Are you sure you are capable of sitting a horse
for 50 miles?" yup
Keith
Shawnee Sunrise Farm Becky Hackworth wrote:

I have a REAL hard time thinking that anyone from our sport gave him the cold shoulder.