Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5329 Quality VS Quantity - Chipnml

I have been boarding my three horses for two years now. Before that I was able to keep them at the farm where I was renting an apartment, then I moved.  I am at a reasonably decent boarding stable with my 30-year-old coming in at night, and Cheers and Dezi staying out. I go out there every day to give the old guy a midday feeding of mushy food, and to set up his evening feed, since the owner will only do that once a day in he morning.  There's not a day goes by that I don't wish I had them at home.  I know there are people out there who are happy to trust someone else to take care of their horses, but I'm not one of them.  I miss being able to just go out and throw a blanket or rainsheet on them, or give them carrot or apple peelings.  I live relatively close, about 6 miles away, but there are days when it would be so much more convenient not to go out there.  But I do because the old guy needs the extra care they are not willing to provide.  I also think it took longer for Dezi to bond with me since he only saw me once a day instead of several times.  You talk about quality time....I used to spend time just hanging over the fence goofing around with my guys when I had them where I lived.  I'd go sit in the pasture on a nice day and they'd come up and just hang out with me.  Of course, I never had the problem of worrying about cleaning house or doing laundry......I've always said we find time for what is important to us (sigh).

Chip