Re: [RC] From Pasturage to Pens - D'Arcy Demianoff-Thompson

This is a fantastic idea and I second Dave's advise on
making the area/s dual purpose.  I have two round pens
set up.  Although they are not connected to a barn
area it does allow me the ability to put horses
outside, even in bad weather, for exercise while their
stalls are being cleaned.

Although I am home, during the day,which affords me
the opportunity to run horses in and out frequently. I
have also enclosed, with pipe panels, the entire back
area of the four stall barn that has a covered 30x24
area that is a run now.  I also have 24 inches of
shavings back there.  I was going to add 4 more stalls
but felt it was better to have a covered turn out area
for a horse or two during the day.  The horses love it
and they love laying down on all of those shavings to
rest in the sun light that stays on that area most of
the day.

I can now put 5-6 horses out at a time while stalls
are getting done.  Then those horses come in and the
next batch go out.  That way each horse gets about 3-4
hours outside each day.

With the rain and the HILLS on this property the
environment is not conducive to turning them out to
the paddock and pasture areas.  Although we have not
had the rain we have had in the last 3 years I am
still very glad that this set up is in place.  :)

The drainage, the ability to maintain the areas
quickly, and the ability to get the horses in and out
quickly has been a huge relief of stress.

D'Arcy

D'Arcy L. Demianoff-Thompson
 liberty4640@xxxxxxxxx