[RC] From Pasturage to Pens - Smith, Dave

Kristi:

  With only three fenced fields of grass totaling about three acres in size, I’ve had to pen my three horses for most of the day, giving them just a few hours each day on grass (more on weekends). I didn’t want to waste valuable land on an ugly barren “sacrifice area” that would be prone to mud during the wet season and dust storms during the dry, so I built a round-pen just behind my enclosed stable area.  Gates allow/control passage between the stable area and the 65-ft diameter round pen.  During the work day, I open the round-pen to the horses as I leave for work.  When I return, I let the horses into one of the three fields for grazing until it gets dark when I call them into their stable area for their mash and evening hay flake.  The round-pen allows the horses to chase each other, roll in the sand or just sleep in the sun. Because of the sand surface, it is relatively easy to clear dung and keep clean,  When it rains they can retreat to the stable area for shelter/water (but being mustangs, they don’t seem to care about anything as minor as rain).  I designed the round-pen surface to handle rain and runoff with underground perforated pipe, two-three inches of compacted crushed rock, a layer of two-three inches of decomposed granite (“DG”) and a topping of three-inches of river sand.  The surface never bogs up and drains very well. I’m in the process of clearing/fencing three additional acres of woodlands for additional pasturage.  Once I have all my fields in, I plan to do Jackson’s  “Paddock Paradise” mentioned by other responders.  I guess my point is that rather than create an ugly, unhealthy, muddy, dusty “sacrifice area” in which your horses are going to spend a large part of the day, create a round-pen or arena area that drains quickly and can also be used to train your animals.

--Dave