[RC] SERA convention - Truman Prevatt

The SERA convention this past weekend was very well attended. The ulcer presentation was very informative and I am sure will help riders be more aware of the issues with Equine Gastric Ulcer Syndrome.

I would like to thank Stagg Newman for leading a panel discussion consisting of himself, Jerry Fruth (DAL), Susan Kasemeyer (SE AERC Dir), Joe Schoech (SE AERC Dir) and super vets Otis and Ike. The discuss was primarily for the new drug rule - but it drifted into many issues concerning equine welfare. It was open, all views were presented and many good ideas were generated.

Of course later we celebrated our sport and recognized the accomplishments of our members during this season. Congratulations to the One Hundred Mile Club inductees this year was Darlene Krell on Held In Trust and Lynn Kenelly and Reminisonce +. Darlene been there more times than I can remember.

SERA recognizes the first place Junior in the Limited Distance and Open divisions. I want to thank Jerry and Diane Fruth for sponsoring awards for all the Junior riders.

After 10 years it was time for me to go. It is time for fresh blood and new ideas. I told the members what Mo Udall told his party in 1972, "if nominated I will no accept - if elected I will flee to Mexico and fight extradition."

The new SERA president is Jody Rogers-Buttram. Please join with me it helping her lead SERA to greater heights. I don't think I left too many skeletons hanging around in the closets - but you never know ;-) .

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard Feynman, Nobel Laureate in Physics