Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5324 What to feed - Chipnml

I know I'm a bit late joining in this thread, but I'd just like to add, I agree with Truman....what my horse wants to eat, he gets.  That being said, when Dezi and I did our first 100 this weekend (oh....did I mention DEZI AND I DID OUR FIRST 100 THIS WEEKEND???), I fed a combination of beet pulp, senior feed and XTN in various combinations, according to what he wanted to eat.  Usually I soaked a couple handfuls of XTN and beet pulp with his elytes, BCAA and probiotics, then a bucket with beet pulp, senior and more XTN.  We had plenty of grazing along the entire route (which was, by the way, 100 miles....OUR FIRST!!!), and I also had timothy/alfalfa hay for him.  Dezi's a very good eater, I swear he gains weight on rides....even when it's HIS VERY FIRST 100.  I reallly don't worry about him getting too much grain, but then every horse is an individual, too.

Chip (proud and humble mama of Dezi, now known at his barn at Mr. Hundred-Miler)