Re: [RC] re: teaching a horse to trot at vet checks - Cindy Stafford

Yup- practicing at home was the key for us!  Now it's almost a game, and she knows after we're done with that, she gets her bucket :)

----- Original Message -----
From: Truman Prevatt
Sent: Saturday, September 29, 2007 10:11 AM
To: Cindy Stafford
Cc: ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [RC] re: teaching a horse to trot at vet checks

The way you teach your horse to trot out nicely at a vet check is to
make trotting out at your shoulder responding to your voice on a loose
rein as routine to him as eating grass or drinking water. The way to
accomplish this is practice, practice and more practice at home and on
each and every training ride. When you finish a training ride, trot the
horse out and back. In fact I always do a CRI. That keeps the horse on
his toes about trotting out and it gives me information on how the horse
handled the ride.

Most of the issues with horses not wanting to trot out is one of lack of
practice. The horse needs to learn the ride is not over until the trot
out is done. And if you ever are in the position to show for BC - this
practice will pay off in spades.

Truman

--

“It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how
smart you are. If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong” Richard