[RC] teaching a horse to trot out at a vet check. - rides2far

I usually start out by dismounting 1/4 mile or so from the end of my
ride, headed home when the horse *wants* to go. I pick up a dressage whip
length stick to hold in my left hand with the end touching the ground and
give him a foot or so of slack in the rope. I move the reins to the
halter...I don't trot out with the reins hooked to the bit. I stop, have
him stand at attention then say TROT and without looking back at all flip
that switch back to catch him on the butt and take off forward with him.
I never get out in front where I can't reach his butt. Stay at the
shoulder so they know you can. Some horses have to get used to the idea
of going forward in front of you.

Here's a tip...when the horse is in front, his ears are up. When he's
behind you they're down, makes a difference in appearances. I don't like
to use the lead to hit the horse. You'll tend to pull him around in a
circle or make him swing his barrel away from you to avoid being hit in
the side. The long switch is much better, you catch him from behind and
it drives him forward not sideways.

Josie's horse Cade does not take to being hit in any way. With him she
would tell him "Trot" and I smacked the ground with a stick behind him.
Then when she got to the other end of the trotout she gave him a treat.
He's the only one we've had to train that way but you do what you've got
to do.

Other tips. Always stop on a straight line, then turn at a walk, line him
up straight and give the order again. If you let your horse swing around
you in a tight circle he's far more likely to take a mistep and the trot
out is not nearly as pretty.

Angie