Re: [RC] re: teaching a horse to trot at vet checks - Don Huston

Hello Cindy,
All good ideas especially the practice at home part, I still do that but it's mostly for keeping me in shape. I do have a tip that works very well on my lazy trotter and it is goes along with not looking back at your horse as you start to trot out. It's true, I don't look back as I start but if he is lagging after a couple steps I wheel around and lunge one step at him looking him straight in the eyes. It scares him and he jumps sideways and forward and I have already quickly turned back to continue the trot out. Sort of a split second thing of "trot or I'm gonna eat you" and I never have to say anything. One time a vet said, "well that certainly works".
Don Huston