[RC] re: teaching a horse to trot at vet checks - Cindy Stafford

I am the LAST person who should be chiming in on this, with only a few LD's behind me, but this was something my horse and i both had to learn as newbies.  What worked for me, and i'm sure there are bound to be oodles of better ways, was baiting her with a carrot when we practiced at home.  I always practiced this after our workouts, so she got used to doing it when tired.  we'd start at the end of the arena/driveway/whatever.  I'd show her the carrot, I'd give her a cue - either verbal or physical, whatever works for you, we'd run to the other end and she'd get the carrot.  First few times, i had to get her going with a tap on the rear with a crop or the lead rope.  But after she learned the routine, didn't need to.

Of course during the rides, I didn't have the carrot - i assume that wouldn't be allowed.  But I gave her a big pat as a reward instead.

Couple tips that a vet gave a riding buddy of mine - don't look back at tehm, don't pull on them, try to stay at their shoulder if you can.  But best thing i learned - practice at home! :)