From: Ranelle Rubin [mailto:raneller@xxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, September 27, 2007 11:00 AM
To: Karen Franklin; ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC] Idea

Karen,

You don't know until you ask. If you are willing to pay for board, and
any
training that is put on this foal, you may have a solution. It totally
depends on the breeder and what circumstances exist for them in terms of

room, time, hay availability. I recently hauled a horse back from OR for

anothere rider who was left with the breeder for almost a year after
purchase because this horse was able to run on 800 ac. with a band of
mustang mares, and be brought in for training under saddle to boot! I
ended
up buying his brother who was raised the same way..boy do I feel
blessed!
Both these boys are "little brothers" to my horse, so I understand
completely the feeling about bloodlines.

One way to communicate your request in a way that makes them want to
help
you (and the foal)..is to express your concerns about the limited amount
of
time you have, how the foal will grow up, and at the same time make them

understand what you value about their breeding program that makes you
want
this foal in the first place.

One thing I do wonder, though, is have you looked at horses ready to
ride
now? What is it about this foal that makes you want to take a chance on
how
he will turn out vs. looking for a more mature horse. I would suggest
you
think about that, especially given your description of your level of
experience riding. Trail riding on rough terrain, which is often the
case in
this sport, is a whole different animal than arena work. Arena work will
lay
a wonderful foundation for you, but learning to face the challenges out
there on the trail is one that is easier and more enjoyable on an
experienced horse.

Be careful letting your "starry eyed love"..and yes, I have done it, so
know, let you make decisions that end up biting you in the butt.

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx