From: "Karen Franklin" <kfranklin@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ride Camp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   Idea
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 10:43:43 -0500

I'm a little hesitant to ask this, but I guess if I don't ask, I won't
find out, so...

I'm currently at a point in my life where I can afford a horse, but I
have neither the time nor the land for one.  I know what breed I want to
get and have even found bloodlines and particular horses whose offspring
would be well suited to distance riding.  What I am curious about is
this.  I have found a foal that I like very much - good bloodlines, but
even better parents.  However, like I said, the best I could do right
now would be a boarding stable and attention only on weekends - not a
good situation for any horse, let alone a foal.  Would a breeder allow a
person to purchase a foal with the understanding (written contract of
course) that the foal would remain on the sellers property for a few
years while receiving (paid for) care and training as it matures, until
such time as the buyer would be able to take on the horse?  Is this just
silly?  What are the problems with this idea?

For a little background on myself, I have cared for (at separate times)
two older horses who were pasture ornaments only and I've taken two
years of riding lessons with no showing.  Not much experience at this
time but I'm certainly willing and able to learn.  Just know that I'm
green enough not to know if the above idea is too silly to even
consider!

Thanks for your time.