[RC] [RC] How to deal with an LCL strain? - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

Kristi Schaaf:
I've recently started having trouble with my left knee's LCL...on long rides. In doesn't hurt/get aggravated during any other activity except riding. At anywhere from mile 10 to 20, especially while posting a lot, my left knee feels like it's going to give out and starts to really ache. Has anyone else here dealt with this, and did you find a solution?...I'm going to experiment with shortening my stirrup length.
Kristi - I've had something similar happen to me
on three rides this year - as you say, when we've
done lots of continuous flat trotting (which we don't
have much of at home).

It happened to me this weekend towards the end of
Day 1 of the Tejon ride and I was worried - thinking it
would prevent me from going out on Day 2.

The following day, I lengthened my stirrups one hole, took
some Tylenol, and practised riding much more loosely -
concentrating on posting less off my knees/feet. Hard to
describe, but you alter your riding to put the least amount
of strain on that joint. Also alter the horse's speed to put
the least amount of stress on your joint - either speeding
up or slowing down - for me that can make a difference.
Oh, and if your horse pulls, that can also cause strain -
worth putting him in a running martingale to reduce strain
on you, if that's the case.

On Day 2, after we'd been walking for about six miles
(long climb and long descent), I got off for a really steep
downhill and thought I was done for - the knee was so
crunchy I was gimping badly. Luckily for me, the hill was
quite long, and even though it didn't seem like it would, the
pain had  walked out by the time we reached the bottom.

Strangely, by the end of Day 2, my knee felt better than it
had on Day 1.

So I'd recommend fiddling with your stirrup length, hopping off
and walking every so often, even it if's only for a minute or
so - and selecting rides that don't have too much long-
continuous-flat trotting <g>.

Good luck on your 50!

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA