[RC] Other problems with the study? - k s swigart

Linda Marins said:

Predictably, there are problems with this
study.  Given that they studied riders coming
into a *Calgary* hospital, it is not surprising
that most accidents took place on wide open
spaces.

Given that most riders ride in the summer time in good weather on good
footing, it should also not come as a surprise that most of them took
place under those circumstances either.  The fact that most of the
accidents happened under these circumstances is not meaningful unless
you know whether it is different from the amount of overall riding is
done under these circumstances.

And the average years of riding experience (possibly the mean) may not
be meaningful either unless you also know the distribution. (E.g. if
most of the accidents occur among rank beginners with less than 2 years'
experience and among the aged with over 50 years' experience, the
"average" would still come out to about 25 years' experience).

And it is especially not surprising to me since (as I mentioned in one
of my previous posts), it is the "good ones that hurt you."  It is also
the good conditions that hurt you.

Difficult horses in bad weather on poor footing in close quarters get
riders' attention and make them careful.

I am willing to bet that the number one cause of horse accidents is
carelessness; the better the horses and milder the conditions, the more
likely the rider is to be careless.

You don't have to make sure to be looking where you are going only on
horses that tend to spook easily; you have to be looking where you are
going always.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:)