Re: [RC] re: bucking the owner - Kat - SandyDSA

I am not sure I understand why any horse owner would be totally cowtowed to any other "professional" especially when it comes to feet. I am the one who rides and cares for my horse every day of the year - a farrier comes in once every 4-6 weeks and does a great job doing what I ask him to do. We have one mare coming home in a week who for whatever reason has the crummiest feet - but she is a heck of an athlete! To ride her with regularity, she needs shoes. So now I need to find a good farrier who can put shoe son her without wrecking her feet (not easy out here!). Our regular farrier (barefoot) is excellent, and in fact my 21 year old mare just completed her first LD in 5 YEARS (my injury not hers) BAREFOOT! Not a mark,a  bruise nothing. She went beautiful. But this mare coming home - she just plain needs shoes. Boots? Tried them. Boas. They are great for trail moseys - but I don't feel good enough in them to compete or condition properly. I am concerned that the peculiar traction and iffy security in them might re-injure a now-healed SLIGHT suspensory injury.

Bottom line is - I ride my horses, condition them, care for them, and ultimately, since I am responsible for their well being - not my vet and not my shoer - I get to choose. So you get to choose. I am appalled that just because someone owns the property that THEY have ANY SAY WHATSOEVER in the choice of shoes or no shoes. So they pay property tax, buy hay and collect board. So what? Sounds like discriminatory management to me. I live in California. lol!

Sandy Adams
Deep Sands Arabians
www.deepsands.com