RE: [RC] [RC] Elytes - some recent references - Patti

From: heidi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [RC]   Elytes - some recent references

Nothing wrong here with the math--the problem lies in not looking at the overall picture.  Since an endurance horse that is not EATING will be in trouble for reasons of energy and gut function LONG before he gets into trouble with electrolytes, you also have to factor in the quantity of elytes (including NaCL) are present in feed.

As Beth pointed out in the rest of her reply to the above, potassium requirements are MORE than met in feed (including the potassium losses), as are calcium losses.  But nobody seems to want to talk about the fact that in all but the most extreme circumstances, good grass hay eaten at the level that endurance horses SHOULD be eating (and most do) will also provide sufficient sodium to replace the losses as well.

Beth is correct that at most, a little bit of sodium cloride (NaCl) is about all that is needed (and that at FAR less than is commonly stuffed down horses at our rides) to cover the losses.

"By the numbers" 30 lbs of good grass hay (per DairyOne averages) will only supply about half the daily maintenance requirement (leaving another 15 grams of sodium needed) - not everyone has access to really great hay. But what I think is key in the Goer article is that what happens on race day is dependent on having built a foundation - a substrate that provides the needed reserves. I think this backs 100% what you are saying - many, if not most of their requirements are met by hay (which is simple enough to find out how well your hay meets requirements). And, if there is a good base to begin with, the losses can be replenished over days - not necessarily on ride day.

I also think this might affect front runners less than back of the pack riders. While the front runners may be calling on their reserves more intensely, they are finished for the day and able to start replenishing them sooner - before the losses have opportunity to cause problems.  And it's likely that mid-pack and tail enders are not always as well conditioned/acclimated - their sweat (and elyte) losses will be greater for the same amount of work, and will take place over a longer period of time. So, while the front runners are in and chowing down, the rest are still tapping their reserves and put in the position of playing catch up - thus a need to supplement (carbs as well as sodium) as you go along.

Patti K
Vail AZ