From: "Marlene Moss" <Marlene@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "Ridecamp" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>,<horsesctr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   sudden behavior change in horse
Date: Mon, 17 Sep 2007 12:52:36 -0600

I have 2 horses boarded at our place for training to fix some behavioral
problems that suddenly appeared. Both are 3 year old mares, one AQHA but
looks thoroughbred, the other a solid paint. They have no relationship to
each other and different owners, but both were shown in halter and longeline
classes when younger. Both owners think their behavior is related to coming
into heat, but neither had a vet look at the horses.

One was sent to a trainer who gave up on her and sent her to the auction and
eventually she ended up at our place so we could help the new owners sell
her. The other owner is so afraid the horse will hurt a neighbor kid that
she had the mare tied to the fence when I picked her up.

Basically, both mares will bite and kick at times, but are otherwise a
couple of the sweetest mares I've ever worked with.  The quarter horse has
no aim, and you can tell she is frustrated but just doesn't know what else
to do.  I am able to work with her just by talking to her pleasantly or
holding something out for her to sniff.  She's very curious.  The paint has
deadly aim and force so we are being very careful with her because we just
don't know what sets her off yet.

Both are very pleasant and willing once they are haltered. The AQHA mare is
lovely to ride and I've taken her out on the trail a few times and think she
has trail or endurance potential. The other mare isn't saddle trained yet.

Has anyone dealt with behavior like this? With both horses it just started
overnight and the original owners both had other horses with no problems. I
really thing there is something physical, probably with their reproductive
systems that is going on. The paint will sometimes turn her head away and
look back to avoid biting or else looking where she is in pain. I have a
vet coming out Tuesday for one of the boarders and I'd like to talk to him
about these two to see what options we might have to figure things out for
them. I have heard of horses that had a marble inserted to help with
uncomfortable heat cycles - any experience with this? What symptoms does it
help? How well does it work? Is there hormone therapy for horses? Blood
tests that might give us a clue? Expensive or cheap? What kind of
diagnostics can be done that don't cost a fortune or require a major clinic?

Sorry not totally distance riding related, but I guess any horse could have
problems like this that need to be diagnosed and dealt with.  The owner of
the paint has accepted that she may need to put this mare down if she can't
be fixed, but I (and the trainer) think it is physical and that the source
needs to be treated before the horse can be trained or a difficult decision
made.

Thanks!

Marlene

Marlene Moss