[RC] AERC re: Dr. Q's comments - oddfarm

Dr. Q, Why does someone have to write a check to support AERC and all it's programs to be credible?

I ask this because I don't think I am renewing my membership next year. I don't think I can continue to support an organization, (which by the way IMO is NOT a "small amateur hobby sport" according to our financial records) that just can't seem to be consistent about important things and then continue to do other things that make no sense.

It seems like AERC can't do much of anything without the worries of a lawsuit and yet we continue to use the same "legal expertise". How well is that working? If we can't publish protests any longer on our website for fear of a lawsuit or because,"There is grave concern at higher levels in AERC that threats of public punishment and humiliation intended for a very few abusers actually has the opposite effect", then why bother with protests at all? The fact that you make that statement makes it sound like we tried it and it didn't work when in fact that hasn't been tried at all, especially if you have found that it has discouraged "large
numbers of riders avoiding necessary treatment at rides, and there could cause even greater carnage as a result
." How in the world did we get a large number of riders avoiding treatment?? How do you know that??? If that information is known, then how are they getting through the vet checks and  why isn't something being done to avoid that scenario? That just doesn't make any sense.

When one member (who is still listed as mentor?) gets away with drugging a horse that is ill and racing it, and then denies any knowledge and then admits to it, (which IMO is SOOOOOO detrimental to the horse's health and well being) and yet another member gets 3 months suspension and 9 months probation for RUNNING HIS MOUTH, (how that affected the horse's health is beyond me) who's embarrassed? Who is humiliated? And in the middle of all that, the board decides it is high time to nail riders on underage horses and to set an example so they nail a JR. What kind of example did that set?

I know we are not killing off our horses and I am not suggesting we start hanging people. There is just oh, so much more.

How come AERC riders have to be subjected to FEI crap? I have yet to see in any board minutes where anyone has spoken up and said that is not acceptable even when it is clear as a bell the members are fed up with it. How come at a duel sanctioned ride I get told not to feed my horse in the hold because it is an FEI rule, but no one tells me I am inappropriately dressed because I don't have a collar? Anyone have an answer to that? Who gets to pick what FEI rules AERC riders have to follow? Why do we have to follow them at all just because we are at a duel sanctioned ride? Why doesn't somebody from the board say to anyone who wants to duel sanction, go for it but leave the AERC riders ALONE!!!

You would think that for ALL THE YEARS a board member can stay in the club, they would really see what is important and what the members want.

I don't need AERC. I can support the sport by attending rides and still be a member of our local endurance club. I do my part of trail work and clean-up so I don't need them for that, either. I can pay for EN. I don't care about awards and I don't need anyone to keep track of my miles. I know what I do. I will still be paying the day rider's fee so actually AERC will get more money from me than if I were a member. They won't be getting that money because I support them, only because I have to pay it.

For me, not renewing my dues is my way of protesting, by saying I am fed up.

Not supporting AERC doesn't make me or anyone else, any less credible. I don't think any board member should look at it that way either.

Lisa Salas, The Odd faRm