[RC] Virginia City - this year - Lucy Chaplin Trumbull

VC100  remains one of the funnest 100 mile rides around. The
organizing club, NASTR, is a fun, tight-knit group of people most
of whom are dedicated endurance riders and many of whom have
been doing it for a very long time: for example, RM Connie Creech
I believe has finished the ride over 15 times. This year's finish line
volunteers were Al and Jackie Beaupre. Al is one of two 2000 mile
buckle winners - for him, his 20th came after hip replacement. Oh,
I forgot to mention - Tom Lewis' finish this year gave him a 15th VC
buckle.

This year, first place went to Marcia Smith and AM Sands of Time -
and Sandy also won BC!

This was an almost duplicate of last year when Sandy (that time
ridden by Marcia's husband, Tom Johnson) came joint first with
Kassandra Di Maggio and Buck Mtn Wind Prince. And Sandy
won BC last year as well.

This year's high vet score went to Sam (sorry, don't have his "real
name") ridden by second place finisher, Kristy Hartman. Sam is
actually husband Mike's horse - evident when Kristy tried to trot him
out for BC and had to abandon her efforts when Sam wouldn't cooperate.
Mike took over and Sam went beautifully :))   Kristy still wins points
for being "perkiest finisher" - still whooping and laughing an hour or
so after she finished, waiting up to congratulate other finishers.

This year's finishers also included NASTR member Beth Kaufmann
and Nanci Gabri completing their 10th VC100s. Beth has won the
NASTR Triple Crown (best overall combined time for Derby Ditch 50
[now Square Nail 50/soon to be Nevada Derby 50] + NASTR 75 +
VC100) three times.

The horses also show up regularly. Beth was riding Gene Myers'
horse Karahty's Gem (Bishop)  - that was his 7th completion out
of 7 starts. Mustang Robin Hood, ridden by Vicki Giles got his
(at least) six finish this year.

* * *

Despite only offering the 100 mile distance, VC gets a good turn
out - and because it isn't as high profile as Tevis, the ride tends to
attract a very decent contingent of riders - people who really know
what they are doing.

This seems to be reflected in the pull rate - 63 riders started this
year's ride and 22 were pulled - 65% finished. Surprisingly, given
the footing at VC, I believe only 6 of those pulls were for lameness.
The rest included:

5 ROs - rider sickness, injury, etc.

3 riders opted to take the short way in when up on the top of a
mountain in the middle of the night. Their horses were slowing
and they decided the quick way in was a better option.

2 horses had fluke choking episodes that were quickly resolved
(just remember to never feed your horses either hay or carrots,
during rides... <roll eyes>).

2 riders missed the trail on the last loop in the dark and went OT

1 horse pulled out on the trail when its rider determined it "wasn't
doing right". This morning, that horse developed a cough - which
she'd evidently been brewing

and finally one horse was treated for colic at ~50 miles, but was
fine with treatment.

* * *

Being in neighbouring states and of similar histories, VC100 is
often compared to Tevis. But as multiple finisher Gene Myers said
to me, it's like comparing apples and oranges. Horses that do great
at VC100 don't always fair as well at Tevis and vice versa.

Where Tevis has steep climbs, treacherous drop-offs and 200+
starters, the general consensus is that the footing at Tevis is *great*
compared to VC100.

Although you can trot side by side with a riding buddy for much of
VC100, it is brutal on horses' legs - both in terms of NV rocks strewn
on the trail (which brings a whole new meaning as to "what's trottable
and what isn't"), and in hard-packed dirt.

Bailey canyon, coming after the first 25 mile check causes riders to
shake their heads in disbelief at the memory of it. To get off and lead
you run the risk of a broken ankle, so you're reduced to staying on and
picking your way for an hour through what is essentially a rocky creek bed.

Two of the riders in the top ten (and one of whom has also top-tenned
Tevis on several occasions) exclaimed that the loop from 51 to 77
miles was the hardest 26 miles they'd ever ridden.

And the last 23 mile loop is "*VERY* dark".

* * *

This year's weather was kind - although the NV wind blew, it wasn't
the non-stop onslaught it has been in past years. Although it was warm,
we didn't bake under a relentless sun as in past years. And in the evening
although it cooled off, we didn't freeze our butts off as in past years.

* * *

No doubt Don Bowen will write his own report, but I had to laugh looking
at the way he and fellow heavy-weight rider Jonathon Bowman, rode
their ride. When we left the 38 mile "water stop" at Washoe Lake,
Don and Jonathon were settled in the shade under a tree, enjoying
a nice break. They were almost in last place.

By the time they reached the 51 mile check back in camp, they'd
picked off a half-dozen riders. By 77 miles they'd gone up 20 riders.
And they finished in 15th and 16th place. Why race in the heat of the
day when you can make up time in the cool of the night?

Don said he was pretty creaky this morning, though, after running
about 20 of the 100 miles.

* * *

Erin Klentos (formerly McChesney) completed the ride - the first
100 she has done since winning the Tevis + (BC) Haggin Cup in
1996. She told me that at 51 miles her knees were so sore she
wasn't sure she'd be able to continue, but she continued and for
the rest of the ride just "sat more" and worked it out.

* * *

Six juniors started the ride, with four completions. Two dropped
out as ROs at 25 and 77 miles respectively.

Lucy Chaplin Trumbull
elsietee AT foothill DOT net
Repotted english person in the Sierra foothills, CA