Re: [RC] Rice Bran before a ride? - Beth Walker

Thanks! Yes, that helps a lot. This horse can drop weight pretty quickly .. not an easy keeper - so I was concerned about pulling his rice bran.

His normal diet is free-feed bermuda hay, plus "supplements", which are 3 lbs alfalfa pellets, split between AM and PM, same for the rice bran. In the evening, he also gets 1 - 1.5 lbs dry wt beet pulp, soaked. The alfalfa pellets and rice bran get mixed into his beet pulp in the evening, because otherwise he won't touch it. He won't eat it with just the alfalfa pellets, either -- he wants the rice bran. He doesn't get beet pulp in the morning, because he is boarded out and I don't want to get up at 4:30 AM every morning :)

The only reason I included the alfalfa pellets was (a) they are cheaper than the Natural Glo and (b) there is usually alfalfa at the vet checks at our local ride. I've read your article on alfalfa, so he doesn't get much.

This helped a lot. The only thing I was planning on doing special was adding beet pulp to his AM feeding, and making it sloppier. Sounds like I can just stick to plan.

Thanks!