Re: [RC] XP 2001 Prize Saddle - John Teeter

Kat, thanks for taking the step of pointing out that "winner" in the case of the 2001XP was a superlative which was awarded, (along with that beautiful saddle) by applying a determination of excelence through the eyes of an informed observer - aka the duck. (and to add that Carol and the Energizer were the winners!).

I left that definition (of "winner") open as a little trip-wire to allow me to point out that we easily, and quite naturally, associate "winner" with "first to finish" with ... "race". In the case of many AERC endurance events, and especially at the individual level, the "winner" award, determined by the Duck at the 2001XP, is a personal thing - to FINISH is to be a winner. as it - it's not a race unless YOU, the rider, make it a race. And at almost every AERC event I've been to, there has been a "YOU", or a collections "YOUS" (from NJ?) who wish to use that definition. So every RM needs to have a safe finish line, where safe is determined by the anticipated speed at which yous are going to approach it at any given time during the ride - leading most RMs to want to move the finish line as the speed of the yous decreases throughout the ride (as the yous who think winning the turtle award is the ultimate really don't need a 1/2 mile runOut after the finish line. a couple of yards will do...)

enough already. this is all pretty obvious stuff. but, as Kat pointed out, winning is often not a speed/placement thing at AERC events. Now FEI events are a totally different horse race.

jt (who heard the distant quack of a duck saying quit playing semantic games!!:)