[RC] My baby is gone - desertrydr1

I just don't know what to do or where to turn so I am writing to you, my friends on Ridecamp.  I came hoem tonight from work and went in the house for about an hour without doing my usual head count to make sure everybody was okay.  When I went out to feed I found my 13 yr old mare, Fog, dead in the pasture.

She was my first baby, out of my Arab mare.  I planned her birth, I broke her myself (when she wasn't breaking me), did 175 miles of LD and my first two 50's on her.  Just last year she had a 1/2 Shagya colt.  And now she's gone.

I just bought her a brand new Freeform Classic, in anticipation of doing some miles next season.  I only got to ride her in it one time.  It sure seemed like she liked it, from the way she moved right out in it.  Now I don't know whether to keep it or send it back, because I don't have a horse to ride in it.  That's pretty tough, to have 6 equines left, and not one to ride.  I just never imagined that something would happen to her so young.

My next door neighbor, and my best friend came over for a while, thank god for friends and neighbors.  I am just starting to realize she's really gone, that I'll never ride her again.

She was such a great riding horse, smooth, fast when I wanted it (and sometimes when I didn't) and always a fun, fun ride.  She would call to me when it was feeding time, she loved to be turned loose in the morning, she always lead the charge to the back pasture.

I think she must have gotten kicked in the face, because her cheek was swollen, and she had a spot on her jaw that had a little owie, and her eye on that side was either out, or sunk back in, and there was a lot of blood from the eye.  It looked like she may have gone fairly quickly, there didn't seem to be a big disturbance in the ground around her.  For that I'm thankful.

It's not condolences I'm looking for, just wanted to share my pain with people I know will understand.  Thanks for being my friends, Ridecampers.  I know we have our tiff's, disagreements, occasional flaming.  But bottom line is we're all here for the horses.  Please go out and give your horse a hug, I wish I could hug my girl one last time and tell her how much I loved her, what a great horse she was.  jeri