[RC] What Julie said.... - Bruce Weary

I agree with Julie. I have some other thoughts as well. Unfortunately, we live in what I call a "shockless" society. There are so many tragic, ridiculous, painful, crazy, unfathomable things going in our world on a daily basis, that most folks simply don't have the time or attention span to stay focused on any one newsworthy event, such as the tragic accident that occurred at the GSFHR, for very long. Facts will be gathered, responsibility will be assigned, lawsuits will be filed, injuries will heal, and broken hearts will mend. The sun will go down, and come up again, and AERC will still be the leader and icon in North America for the sport of endurance. Much discussion and debate, both heated and civil, will go on for weeks and months in all quarters. Slowly, amidst the noise, cooler heads will prevail and begin to unravel the rat's nest, and find ways to carry the message of AERC, and what it represents, to the portion of the public that cares, and there will be lessons learned and hopefully applied, both at the GSFHR and through our ranks as well. How quickly this occurs is up to us as officials and members of AERC. As soon as enough of us figure out that we can be part of the solution rather than critics of the problems, the wheels of progress, education and healing will begin to turn.
My momma gave me a memorable quote (she is still very good at that): " When people say bad things about you, lead your life in a manner where no one would believe them anyway." We should do the same. Let's quietly go about our business of overcoming this tragedy, and take our sport to an even higher level of safety and public awareness. Nobody better prepared to do this, than us.
It's the only sane thing to do. Dr Q

Oh, and I can't resisting adding this thought. Someplace, somewhere, right now, there is a newborn foal struggling to stand on his new, wobbly knees, looking for his first meal. What a gift and responsibility, all in one.