[RC] FW: Your Horse - Mike Sherrell

Bruce,

I'll try this. I hadn't, because I read somewhere, Equus or RideCamp, that
pre-ride grain didn't contribute to horse functionality, whereas post-ride
grain did, but that's no reason not to give it a try. Intuitively it sounds
like it'd be effective.

I must say that I don't really think I have a medical/physiological problem,
although I'm not so certain of that that I want to 100% rule it out. I put
it down to one or more of 3 things: 1) it's too hot in the afternoon (in the
northern valley the temperature actually peaks at 5 pm or so, so we never
really get over the hump*), 2) 25-30 miles of gaiting without feeling too
tired is about all I can reasonably expect out of this horse, or 3) he's
malingering, stops feeling like working, in which case I can reasonably
insist. My problem is sorting these out.

*although one day a really stiff wind came up, fairly cool, and blowing
right into our faces as we headed 3 or 4 miles back at the end of the day,
and he went like a charger, the 10+ mph gait the whole way except for a
water stop and a shade and orientation stop. But this was early this year,
so I couldn't figure out if it was the cooling, or that he had figured out
we were on the return lap and he hadn't yet become blase about these big
Valley loops. It's still a muddle to me.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical
707 887 2919; fax 707 887 9834