[RC] Rearing - sherman

I had a couple horses that reared. The first one was nearly 30 yrs ago.
I tried all the tricks to get her to stop...bopping on the head,
slapping between the ears with the end of the reins, hitting the head
with milk cartons full of warm water which would break open and
supposedly make them think they were injuring themselves. Nothing
worked. Funny thing, I can't remember what I did with this mare. Every
other horse I've owned I can remember who they went to, not this one.
Oh, and she bucked liked a rodeo horse, too. She'd buck for about a
quarter mile without stopping, and I held on so tight she couldn't get
me off (:>)

The second one was my little 13.3H mustang mare. She started rearing
about 3 mos. after I'd put her under saddle. Then she'd do it every time
we tried to go for a ride. I finally put her away for a couple months,
got some advice from my old cowboy neighbor, and finally got the nerve
up to try riding her again. I would pull her head around as soon as I
felt her thinking about rearing. She never did it again. She did do one
fine airs-above with me on her though, and I think she's always behaved
after that.

Kathy

Robert R wrote:
At my wits end and several trainers wits end, I finally resorted to
toppling my rearer over and it fixed him.  Wished I'd heard about the
head bop first.  It would most assuredly have been worth a try.

I can tell you one thing, cussing didn't help a bit.