From: Susan [mailto: glenn218@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Wednesday, September 12, 2007 1:24 PM
To: mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: FW: [RC] Teaching rearing

Obviously he'll rear.  You probably still want to teach him the cue so he'll do it when YOU want him to.  He'll do all sorts of stuff if you ask him...which may help you get him past scary or stupid things.

Sure...why go through a tub of water when you can go around?

BECAUSE I SAID SO, THAT'S WHY!

Now, the horse is in control thinking for the rider.  Most of what we ask a horse to do, especially in an arena, is stupid.  But, if I want my horse to jump a liverpool instead of going around it, that's what I want.  I'm the one with the oposable thumb so I call the shots.

Mike Sherrell <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thanks. I'm getting scared, though. I may just go with trying to teach Traveller to bow.

He has reared a couple of times, notably when I was trying to get him to cross a 8 foot square tub of water in the trail course -- he was right, it was stupid to go into it when there were obviously two easy ways to go around it. So I figure he and I know how to rear without a crash. But he is self-willed enough to start rearing in situations where now he would balk, at least until I talked him into going ahead.

I haven't decided for sure yet, so please do send Mary Downey's email address.

Regards,

Mike Sherrell
Grizzly Analytical
707 887 2919; fax 707 887 9834