Re: [RC] [RC] off the track Arabians - Sherri Lyngar

For what it's worth my family has ex-race horses and a couple of young ones that can still go to the track. I really think it is like any other training for a horse, if you train them all around in the first place knowing that they have a long life ahead of them then they can be very versatile and enjoy trying different things. If you only train them in round pens, arenas and then the track you will have a much tougher time with them in endurance. The trainer that taught us is a hall of fame horse trainer. When he trains a horse, whether they are going to the track, rodeo, or any other event they all start the same including getting ridden out in the desert and over numerous obstacles. They are also trained to load in trailers, stocks, and racing gates because that is the easiest place for a horse to get hurt and the area that they are most likely to have issues.

I have ridden many of the horses that have been to the track and I would say the biggest thing that you have to watch for is that desire to be ahead of the horses that they are with to make sure they are winning. There are a lot of horse that are naturally like that anyway. I will make one note about that comment, however, and say that all of these horses were trained by the same man and I have every confidence in how he has worked with the horses. I know that they were not abused in anyway and I also know what the expectations for them have been. I think that is probably one of the biggest things to consider is knowing what has been expected of the horse and as you change that expectation know that it is going to be a process.