Re: [RC] Big South Fork 100 - Jody Rogers-Buttram

Close Angie, but not quite.

25 starters in the 100----10 finishers.  No men completed the 100....just something that stuck out in my head.

Ruth Ann did tie with Lynn for 1st, and She did get BC.   Winning time was something like 14:13.   We had in the completers ( and I know I am missing some, but just the ones I remember) Mary Howell, Lynn and Ruth Ann, Joni Brucker (sp?), Diane Doll, Debbie Ivey (on a new horse, first 100) and my Joni with Cash Pony.

It was hot and dry, but to me, it didn't seem *that* bad.  Of course I only did 80 miles.
Most of the horses did fine until around the 55 mile mark, then they started to pull.  I believe most were for lameness.  The trail is a challenging one, with a mix of long climbs, some technical rock trails, and a good bit of sand on the last half.  So, the horse is getting it thrown at him from all angles.  But no serious metabolic pulls at all.

GREAT RIDE.  Please put it on your ride calendar for next year  !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   THANK you ERIC and NELIA   !!!!!!!

Now, how about some help for me and Rose.  Here's the deal.   I have a girthy issue on 100's.  I have it will ALL my horses.  We have Cash's under control....lots of body glide and wool fleece and he is good to go.  Heck, Cash Pony is always good to go.  But  Rose gets it, and sometimes worse than others.  I have had her do this almost to this degree before, and she finished the ride.  This time she didn't.  What happens is, she gets a little girthy on one side more than the other, she then late in the ride *may* start to short stride that leg.  She did here.  She will work out of it in a few steps, but it is still hurting her to extend the leg.  So, you get a combination of pain ( pulse goes up), short striding, and then compensation and using the neck muscle to bring the leg forward.  When she pulled her neck muscle was bigger, tighter and hotter on one side vs. the other side.  Now, I have tried, body glide, different saddles, neoprene, wool, string, padded, not so padded, loose girth, crupper to keep the saddle back, the Bickman salve someone on a list suggested, vaseline, baby powder...and cursing.  Sometimes is works better than others.  For instance, she finished OD in June.  She finished Biltmore with Josie this year.  SO....I am wondering since it is ALWAYS the right side....is it ME.  I have tried changing diagonals more, standing more.   I don't think she had an issue with Josie at Biltmore....did she Angie?????    What I am going to look into trying next time is a different girth and a snugger one.  I have just been using it tight enough to stay one.  I am wondering if she is getting more friction with it lose, thus the problem.  So, open to suggestions.  She is going somewhere to a 100 in Oct.  And then to another in November and then I want to do Goethe in December.

Thanks,

Jody and Rose (who really wants this to get fixed, so it doesn't hurt)

PS.  A note on Shoes.  We tried aluminum shoes at this ride, and it was an abrasive surface the whole ride....the shoes held up great.  Thanks to Dr. Jeannie Waldron for the suggestion.

rides2far@xxxxxxxx wrote:
Whew,
I'm sure someone who was there for the whole thing will do a good
write-up eventually, but just a quick tid-bit. I think 24 riders started
the 100, maybe half finished (see how informed I am? :-P) Ruth Ann
Everett on her big bay and Lynn Kenelly tied for 1st and Ruth Ann's horse
got BC. It was a TOUGH ride, dusty, hot, sandy, you name it. The 50's I
saw finishing looked hot and dusty and the 100's were showing the heat
but once the sun went down they picked up and looked much better.

Since Josie and I had a messed up summer we didn't quite feel ours were
ready for competition yet so Josie & I just drove up Saturday morning and
figured we could pull the night shift on the 100's since the other
workers had been going for days. I'm amazed at Eric & Nelia Reuter's
ability to put that thing together... 3 days with ride & ties, 25's 50's
and finishing off with a 100. Impressive organizational skills right down
to the end.

Joni Buttram's little snot "Cash Pony" got high vet score. He was bright
eyed and full of vinegar at the finish and trying to breed her mare the
next morning. Somebody should have sent him out to Santa Fe to ride the
edge off of him. >g< I did not see the awards or finishes for any other
distances so can't tell you a thing about those.

Angie