From: Bruce Weary <bweary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: 'Ridecamp' <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [RC]   AERC
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 13:37:39 -0700

Jim--
I am thankful that your last response has been heard now, but I would like to add some final comments as well. First, it seems we both are guilty of making assumptions without adequate information. I wasn't aware that you underwent surgeries that have kept you out of the saddle over the last two years. I sincerely apologize for my inadvertent insesitivity to that fact. I hope you recover quickly and comfortably.
I presume you are referring to the veterinary treatment my horse thankfully and publicly underwent at Tevis a few years ago. I was in awe of the veterinary staff, their dedication, skill, and professionalism under very difficult circumstances. I was neither ashamed nor embarrassed to be seen by hundreds of competitors, volunteers, and ride officials standing by my horse as he received heroic care for over six hours. Not one of the well wishers who stopped by expressed any concern or disain that I may have caused his problem by "riding him into metabolic distress," as you put it. You presume this from some three years ago and 3,000 miles away. It drove home to me how very important it is to partake of prompt and appropriate veterinary treament *at the first sign of trouble,* just as you might saunter into your doctor's office without a care as to what the neighbors are thinking. Because I understand all the complicating factors that aren't controllable by even the most judicious rider, I have no hesitation in seeking appropriate treatment, as I can't feel guilty over unseen and unforeseen influences that can lead to metabolic crises. I already know how not to override a horse.
The message you repeatedly send is that needing such treatment is clearly a sign of the need to be chastised, to assume abusive horsemanship, and to receive punishment and censure, since it's more than likely (in your mind) that metabolic distress is most often caused by overriding by hard-driving and ignorant riders. Not only does our empirical experience and the death reports not support that, in fact, they dispute it. Thus, the house of cards your proposed penal system is based on, collapses. Ironically, it seems that most overridden horses (yes, Jim, it does happen) survive. There is a paradox there that baffles many of us. It should baffle you, too. Holding fast to your theory in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, nullifies any chance you have of making a difference.
You are free to ask my boss, Laura Hayes, what I have contributed to the HWC. I am newly seated on the Board and the Vet Commitee, and I am trying to learn from my elders before I wade too deep into the waters of giving suggestions and opinions. I will say there are some incredibly talented and dedicated people, with varying degrees of colorful personalities and passionate opinions at the helm of AERC and its committees. You are fortunate to have them, and you will find that an ounce of support and appreciation will go farther than a pound of criticism, anyday.
Oh, and since you're interested, my horse colicked because of a managerial mistake I made. I experimented with pre-electrolyting him in the days that led up to Tevis, and it backfired and actually induced dehydration in his gut, causing an impaction that was relieved by IV fluids. I was riding nearly dead last. I think if Heisman could speak, he would have told me something to the effect: "Thanks for ignoring the peanut gallery and treating me anyway. I didn't deserve to die." It is my wish for all endurance riders to see it that way, when that time comes for them.
Let's move on now. Bruce Weary