[RC] Racing and other goals - Michael Maul

In response to:"AERC is trying to distance itself from the *concept* of racing. Longevity and lifetime mileage are worthy goals but both can easily be achieved in other organizations where absolute placing is not the criterion for an award. "

I'm speaking for myself here and not as a BoD member in saying that while I strongly support the concept of longevity and lifetime miles - I think racing is a fundamental part of our organization and should remain so.

Many of us are goal oriented - myself included. Racing is one of those goals for some. Even a person like myself in the bottom third of the finishers can still be thinking about who else is a MW and where am I placing with respect to them. I pay attention to others in my wt division and use my horses strength in pulsing down quickly to gain time in vet checks.

So even us back of the pack riders can be "racing" to achieve our goals. My horse's strengths are a low pull rate, reliability, and we ride a lot of miles each year together.

Take away "racing" and this sport would lose some of its interest for me and I think for a number of others.

There are a lot of others who simply like to ride new trails, see the countryside, and socialize with their friends.

There's room for all of us in this organization.

Mike