Re: [RC] Fun vs Competition - Maryanne Gabbani

D'Arcy, I don't see why there has to be an "or" there. Competition can be fun or it can be blood sport. I think on the whole AERC has been fun competition for most people....mind you, I'm judging at something of a distance since I've never done an AERC ride and most of what I know of them I get from the net and the odd endurance rider who wanders this far east looking for a some holiday riding.  I think that the difference lies in keeping a sense of balance regarding what you are doing.

I was raised in a family that played word games such as Scrabble and Bali incessantly. These games were played in a highly competitive context with a load of laughter. Sure, people worked hard to win, but they never took the game so seriously that they would even consider cheating, although some of the arguments for rather shaky words would get pretty hilarious.

So there is no reason that endurance riding shouldn't be competitive. You compete against your friends, you compete against your last try, you compete against the trail and the weather. But you don't lose sight of the fact that it's a game...it's fun. At the end of the day, it is not a defining aspect of the world. It's not going to change you into something you are not because you happen to win one day.

I've seen people who have completely lost sight of that perspective. The riders in Egypt who are racing to win money have lost sight of it. They want the cash and will do whatever is necessary to win it. There's no fun there, no laughter, no companions, and little care for the creature who is laying its life on the line for the achievement of someone else's goal.

I don't know how many times I've read people posting about horses that they know have the physical capability to win races but that don't have the emotional capability. That is, the horse doesn't enjoy moving down the trail. That's right...one of the real necessities for any kind of competitive distance riding is a horse who enjoys it, who is happy to do it just because it's fun. Because, let's face it, that's all that matters to the horses....and maybe that's what should be important for us too. Then winning can be fun.

Maryanne