[RC] LD Mr Valentine Obituary - paul

It bothered me that we only have heard about the riders involved, and so little
about the horses who died. So here is what I know  about one of them.. Feel
free to add to this if you know more.

LD Mr Valentine was born February 23, 2001 in Iowa. At the age of three he was
consigned by his breeders to the Addiss Sale in Oklahoma City. At that sale, he
impressed me with his calm demeaner, open kind honest eyes and athletic
confirmation. I purchased him although he was too younfg and green for my own
personal needs. He wound up owned by Katy Tynes, and after some refresher
training in Arkansas, he was campaigned in 2006 by Kathleen Prescott. Kathleen
did an excellent job of slowly bringing "Val" into the sport of endurance
riding. By years end, they had completed 14 Limited Distance rides and one 50
mile event out of 15 starts. This earned him the Top LD Award in the OCER 2006
year end results.  In 2007, Mr Valentine was sold to Teresa Wilcox as an
eventual replacement for her current horse. As Teresa had planned to ride him
in the Greater Santa Fe Ride, she began to condition him for that. With his
added maturity, he had blossomed into a handsome 15plus hand bright chestnut
horse. While not a immediately striking horse at first glance, the longer you
looked at him, the better you liked what you saw. Clear open honest eyes, lean
athletic confirmation, and when he moved it got even better. He was a smart
horse, but not so smart as to cause trouble. Just smart enough to try and
figure what you wanted him to do for you. He had a long smooth stride and
shifted easily into  a ground eating canter.  For those who rode him, he did
exactly what you asked.

It is ironic that he died racing across a finish line, as he did not have a
"race brain". He only had a huge heart and the  desire to please his rider. Mr
Valentine was only on this planet a few short years and deserved more time.. He
will be missed.

LD Mr  Valentine

Born 2/23/2001

Died 9/11/2007