Re: [RC] Let Play:"Stump the Vets!!" ;0) - desertrydr1

"Before we bought our property I very nearly passed it over because of the three large red oaks behind the house. The leaves of red oaks are toxic to horses. Thankfully they are far enough away from the paddocks that the horses can not reach them.
While I've had my horses snatch a mouthful of oak leaves while riding with no apparent harm, a large quantity can be dangerous.
Various varieties of oaks live throughout North America. Horses will eat the leaves if there is no other food available. Water may be contaminated by fallen leaves. Acorns are also toxic if eaten in quantity.
Signs of oak poisoning are:
  • colic symptoms
  • diarrhea
  • darkened urine
  • depression
Resource: The Ohio State University Extension: Horse Nutrition Bulletin 762-00 - Trees and Shrubs"

This is one source that indicates that some oaks are toxic to horses.  There are others if you do a search.  That was the only thing that raised a red flag in your post.  Maybe they are just eating atiny bit, not enough to kill them or make thme really sick, just enough to cause symptoms.  A vet can do a panel that includes kidney and liver function, which will indicate if the horses have had an insult that has affected their kidneys or liver.  Money well spent in this case, as any damage is likely to be cumulative.  You may need to get rid of the trees, or at least be diligent on removing all fallen leaves and acorns.  Best of luck,  jeri