RE: [RC] Dogs & Horses - Burnett, Elly

Title: RE: [RC] Dogs & Horses

We have an Australian Kelpie that we aquired quite by accident.  We didn't know what she was until she was about a year old, and it turns out she's a purebred.  She's one of the best riding buddies ever--she clears the trail of any/everything ahead, and is extremely protective of the horses and riders (from wildlife, that is).  She's very careful about the horses, and stays pretty close during rides.  The best thing we've found about the breed is that, while she's a vey high energy dog (they're bred to work cattle over distances of 30 miles a day), she's able to "turn off" once we're at home.  They need regular exercise, but they don't have that nervous energy of border collies and the like.

Good luck!

Elly