Re: [RC] [RC-Digest] Vol: 03.5242 - Chipnml

In a message dated 9/2/2007 5:48:28 P.M. Central Standard Time, ridecamp-digest@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
You think a horse in this condition ought to be ridden?  Bearing
weight?  Doesn't sound like it to me.  Yours doesn't sound lame, just
creaky, can you ride a lame horse?  I can't.

Cheers, at age 20, has arthritic hocks and is starting arthritis in his rf pastern.  If I don't ride him for awhile, he starts out really stiff and head-bobbing, but eventually works out of it.  When I ride him 3 or 4 times a week, he's MUCH better.  His personality is such that I can't go for gentle walks on him, so we trot a lot...it's just not the 15mph trot he used to have when I competed him.  We usually go around 5 or 6 miles and do it in about an hour.  I think he is healthier and happier, plus I'm able to keep weight off, which improves his prognosis.

Chip