Re: [RC] Old Horses and weighing decisions......... - Hoovinit

I think it comes down to what their quality of life is and if they're still getting up and enjoying life each day; if they are in too much pain or discomfort to enjoy life, then it's time to let them go.  If they're not too lame to ride, getting them out makes them feel like they still have a purpose plus they enjoy the attention( and it makes me feel better knowing they're still getting some).  I have a 28 year old arab and a 23 year old morgan who I still take out on easy, 1 or 2 hour rides and they love getting out.  But they are both fairly sound still, just a little stiff when they first start out then they warm up and move better after about the first 15 minutes or so.  I dread the day I need to make the "big decision" though.  It's very hard.