[RC] [European Endurance Championship] Dachs and Ponton owes it to theirDubai stint - Ridecamp

Dachs and Ponton owes it to their Dubai stint

By M. Satya Narayan, Staff Reporter - Gulf News
Published: September 07, 2007, 23:30
Alcochette, Portugal: Though Jaume Punti Dachs and his wife Maria Alvarez Ponton are from neighbouring Spain, the couple owes much of their presence here in the European Open Championship to their residence in Dubai.

Jaume Dachs is one of the trainers of endurance horses for His Highness Shaikh Mohammad Bin Rashid Al Maktoum, Vice-President and Prime Minister of UAE and Ruler of Dubai. Maria is a work rider.

Both have been based in Dubai for several years and have been riding Shaikh Mohammad's horses in the domestic as well as the international circuit and have now qualified to represent Spain.

"I will be riding the same horse on which I came fourth in the 2006 World Endurance Championship in Aachen," said Jaume, who will be one of the favourites for the title here.

"Maria has had a brilliant season in 2006-07 in the AE and she will be riding a 12-year-old gelding Nobby," said Jaume, who quickly thanked Shaikh Mohammad for his support.

"Riding and training horses in the UAE, where the riders are of a very high standard has kept me going. Maria began to take part in competitive rides last season. Nobby has done well in rides in Dubai, Abu Dhabi and France," he said.

Jaume's mount Elvis Ahb has also tasted success in Dubai, Abu Dhabi before finishing fourth in the last world championship in 2006.

--
Posted By Ridecamp to European Endurance Championship on 9/07/2007 04:21:00 PM