From: "Barbara McCrary" <bigcreekranch@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: "rnbianchi" <rnbianchi@xxxxxxxxx>,"Ridecamp: to post an email" <ridecamp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [RC] cruppers
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2007 08:04:47 -0700

I had a trainer work with my current horse, who was supposed to be already crupper-broke. I just wanted to make sure all was OK with the horse before I got on. I used one of my current cruppers, a tri-fold leather tail-piece model, and the poor horse started bucking on the end of the lunge line so violently, he did not quit for at least 5 minutes. When the trainer finally got him settled down enough to remove it, the underside of his tail and the either side of his anus were ripped to sheds. Poor boy... I haven't tried one since. So far, I haven't had any saddled slippage to the forehand and I've been lucky. I just wonder if he would do the same violent bucking again with a soft neoprene tailpiece, just because he had such a bad previous experience. Or would he accept a soft, non-chafing crupper? Any thoughts?

Barbara