[RC] crupper/saddle going forward - Marlene Moss

There are a couple reasons a saddle can go forward without the horse being downhill or even the saddle not fitting perfectly.

Some horses bring their hind legs so well under them that their rear end action really drives the saddle forward.? I haven’t really had a problem with my 4yo arab/mustang because he has nice withers and even though I’m using a panel saddle that fits him very well, it’s stayed put on some really steep downhills.? However, he just did his first 25 mile ride and decided that this stuff is kinda fun and cantering all the time to keep up with hubbies speed demon is work so he learned to travel wide and do a serious trot.? Now my position is less steady (I used to be able to sit his trot if I wanted to) and the saddle is inching forward just a touch.? I haven’t started him in a crupper yet, I might just wait til he gets his balance really figured out, but that change in how he moves his hind legs makes a huge difference.

The other time that cruppers can be useful is with panel saddles that don’t rely in the shoulder to keep the saddle in place.? I’ve got a little mare that we’ve just started with some dressage even though she’ll be an endurance horse too.? On the trail we haven’t needed a crupper with her FnE saddle because we haven’t done much cantering.? But the dressage trainer is really teaching her how to use her hind quarters to drive and that is pushing the saddle forward at the canter.

I know there are a lot of people that think if the saddle fits the horse it won’t go forward – but I think there are an awful lot of cases where it’s just the saddle running into the shoulders that prevents further forward motion.? In fact there are a lot of saddle manufacturers that rely on this notion and create a bulge at the front of the tree to fit in the “pocket” behind the shoulders.? My theory is that poorly designed and fitted saddles are what causes this undesirable pocket.? I’d way rather use a crupper to keep that saddle back just that half inch or so when necessary and let the shoulders move properly.?

Using a crupper will help a lot of people that have girth galls that they just can’t figure out too.? Sometimes it’s just the position of the girth and literally ¼” to ½” can make all the difference in the world.

Marlene

Marlene Moss

Saddle Fitting - www.KineticEquineAnalysis.com

Boarding/Training - www.LosPinos-CO.com