[RC] What we CAN do about our retired horses..long - Ranelle Rubin

Ridecampers,

Last night I received a call from an ex boyfriend who wanted my help placing a horse he has ridden in endurance. He said, "I don't want to feed a horse I can't ride". One of the reasons we are not together has to do with the way he cares for and treats horses, so this did not come as much of a surprise. The fact that he called me, did.

One of the things I have a passion for is training my horses to be a pleasure to ride in any circumstance. What this does, besides the obvious pleasure it gives me to ride them, is insure their future should I decide to place them as pleasure horses later. I remember talking to Ann Hall once after she had placed a horse I had conditioned for them. They had another one that they had elected to let live out his years on her dad's ranch instead of place in a riding home. When I asked her the difference, she said the second one was never a pleasure to ride, and they did not consider him safe to pass on.

This particular horse that this guy called me about is not a bad horse to ride, but certainly not great to be around. He is very unfinished and unpredictable. For many years, I had a muscled tear in the back of my right calf from him nailing me with his knee while tied. The guy just never had the skill or desire to complete his training. I would not consider him kid safe, that's for sure. He is 18, and the guy said, "I can't push him anymore". He was always the second horse, and alot of his conditioning was running LOOSE behind his primary horse. That made me crazy! I refused to ride with him if he was going to do that.

So, folks, if you want to keep your herd to a point you have room for, or can afford to feed, you owe it to your horse to raise him or her so that when you can no longer do endurance, you have a horse you can place with someone who wants a safe and sane horse.

My last two Arabs are now being ridden happily by teenagers! One has his own 14 yr old boy, one has 3 girls! Both of these homes know they can call me if they can no longer care for these horses.

Ranelle Rubin, Business Consultant
http://www.rrubinconsulting.com
Independent Dynamite Distributor
raneller@xxxxxxx